Do you want to level up your virtual tabletop experience? Here’s how you can import one of our fantasy maps on Foundry VTT. If you want to enhance your next combat encounter with DnD battlemaps, we’ve got you covered.
Adding a map to Foundry VTT is a simple process. In fact, for all $10 tier Czepeku Patreon subscribers, every map comes pre-prepared with walls and lighting so you can really focus on your adventure.
Step 1: Choose Your Map
First, you'll need to find a map that works for your encounter. Czepeku has 1,000s of fantasy maps to choose from, each with variations like time of day and different weather effects. If you’re already a Patreon subscriber, you’ll have access to the full back catalogue for as little as $5 per month. If you’re not yet, you can join here and get your hands on the loot now!
We’ve made it super simple to browse all of the maps in our archive here. Whether your players are heading into a classic dungeon or you’re looking for something totally different (like an island on the back of a giant turtle!), we’ve got maps for every style of adventure. Not only that, but all of our maps are Foundry VTT-ready, so you're all set to start creating your scene.
Step 2: Import Your Map
- With your game session world open on Foundry VTT, click on the ‘Scenes’ tab on the top-right.
- Then click on the ‘Create Scene’ button. Give your scene a name and choose ‘Create New Scene’. The Configure Scene window will open.
- On the ‘Basics’ tab, select the file-picker for ‘Background Image’.
- Upload the Czepeku map you want for your adventure into the ‘Image or Video Browser’ by clicking on 'Choose file’ and grabbing it from your computer.
- Once imported, select the map from the Foundry VTT list and click ‘Select File’.
Step 3: Set the Grid Size
- In the scene configuration settings, choose the ‘Grid’ tab.
- Set the ‘Grid size’ to 140px (pixels) and hit ‘Save changes’.
- A warning pop-up will ask whether you want to 'Change scene dimensions?'. You do - so just click ‘Yes’.
Step 4: Set the Lighting
When your battlemap is uploaded to Foundry VTT, 'Token Vision' is enabled by default in the 'Lighting' tab of your scene configuration settings. This means that your players will only be able to see a black screen unless they have a Token on the scene with 'Vision Enabled' and a light source.
To enable vision for the players, you have a few options:
- Click on the player's Token and select the 'Prototype Token' option at the top. Choose the 'Vision' tab and click on 'Vision Enabled' in 'Basic Configuration'. You can also set their vision range and angle. This will allow the player to see illuminated spaces within the line of sight of their Token. For more information, you can check out Foundry VTT's guide pages for Tokens and Lighting here.
- If you don't want to restrict your players' vision in the scene, you can disable 'Token Vision' in the 'Lighting' tab of the scene configuration settings. This will make the entire scene visible to the players.
- Alternatively, you can make the entire scene visible to players without needing to add any light source by clicking on the 'Global Illumination' option in the 'Lighting' tab of your scene configuration settings.
How to Add an Animated Map to Foundry VTT
If you're wondering how to import an animated map to Foundry VTT, it's really easy! Just follow the same steps above but just select your animated file instead. It works the same way. Animated battlemaps bring a deeper level of immersion to your games. So get access to all of our animated maps with Tier 3 on our Patreon.
Czepeku Does the Hard Work for You!
To make things super easy, as a $10 Czepeku Patreon subscriber, you get a download link that installs a fully pre-prepared module to your Foundry VTT world. Every map variant is automatically installed with animated lighting, walls, doors, and everything you need to get your adventure started. Your Czepeku maps are playable straight from upload. So get adventuring!
Start Your Adventure With a FREE Map Pack!
For tons more guides like this, and to keep up to date with the latest from Czepeku, sign up to our mailing list now and get an introductory map pack for FREE with fantasy, sci-fi, full cities, lore, and more.